Graduates from the Class of 1960 through 1971 Gather for Reunion
A large group of graduates from the class of 1961 through 1971 gathered recently to celebrate as a group of alumni of St. Therese Chinese Catholic School.
May Young Chin, Class of 1966, organized the gathering of over 50 alumni from near and far. In addition to having the chance to reconnect and visit with former classmates, the group also raised over $15,000 in donations for the school!
Ms. Chin also shared some fun facts about this group, including:
- Almost all are sons and daughters of immigrants (first generation born in the United States).
- Almost all had parents that worked in a restaurant as cooks & waiters, in factories doing "piece" work, or who owned a laundry.
- There are quite a few doctors, pharmacist, lawyers, accountants, bankers, real estate/property developers and other college-educated professionals in the group. Most or all own their own home.
- A few have had children who attended St. Therese School, and at least one who has several grandchildren currently attending St. Therese.
- The Class of 1961 was the last class to graduate while still at the On Leung Building (currently the Pui Tak Center).
- The Class of 1962 was the first class to graduate from the "new school" on 23rd Street.
- That makes the Class of 1969 the first to attend all 8 grades in the "new school."
“I, for one, am very proud to be part of this group,” commented Ms. May. “The nuns, although strict, gave us the education and discipline to succeed. We should all be proud of the fact that within one generation, we became law-abiding citizens, contributing back to American society, in other words - living the American Dream. We are also proud to see St. Therese continue to provide such a quality education - two time Blue Ribbon Winner is nothing to sneeze at.”
The group had such a great time reconnecting that they are planning to have another reunion sooner than later!
2009 Alumna Speaks to Guests at 2019 CNY Benefit
Thank you to Ms. Katherine Lai, Class of 2009, for sharing her reflections on how her years at St. Therese have shaped her future. Kathy noted how much St. Therese has changed, as well as how her future aspirations were influenced by the many teachers here, many of whom remain with us today!
Ms. Therese Wong, a former long-time St. Therese teacher and Golden Apple Award Winner, reconnects with former students/STCCS Alumni Stephen Lee, Elisa Moy and Rena Hui at a recent St. Therese Church meeting. Our Alumni often share how much of an impact the special teachers at STCCS have had on their lives!
St. Therese Class of 2015 Graduate Sabrina Shih is featured in the Chicago Youth Symphony Orchestra (CYSO) audition materials. Check out the CYSO home page for more information and performance dates where you can see Sabrina's talents on stage.