Our Admissions Policy
St. Therese Chinese Catholic School is committed to welcoming, recruiting, admitting, educating, and supporting children and families from a diversity of racial, ethnic, religious, and economic backgrounds. St. Therese strives to maintain a diverse community: culturally, religiously, and socio-economically where 30% of the students are provided with need-based financial aid and approximately 15% are born outside of the United States.
Applicants are selected on the basis of multiple factors, including:
- The student and family’s Catholic identity and involvement
- The student’s ability to enhance the school community by his/her presence
- The family’s willingness to embrace the philosophy of St. Therese’s education as described in the school’s Vision and Mission Statements
- Neighborhood residency, immigrants and refugees, and, given our unique heritage as a Chinese Mission school, heritage that complements this special community foundation
- Social and behavioral maturity
- School records, test scores, and recommendations
- Admissions assessment and classroom visit
- Diversity and gender balance
- Current enrollment and how the student candidate compares to others applying for admission
- Enrollment of siblings and alumni of St. Therese and other Catholic Schools
- Parents engaged with a strong commitment to the mission and culture of St. Therese
In keeping with our educational mission and the above factors of consideration, the school will accept students for admission in the following order:
- First, Catholic students from our parish and those children of the Chinatown community who, together with their parents, agree to participate in religious instruction and school activities related to the Catholic identity of the school. Priority is given to existing families who presently have children attending St. Therese.
- Second, Catholic children from neighboring parishes.
- Third, non-Catholic children from neighboring parishes or area schools.
The Principal and Administrators consider a wide range of cognitive, medical, behavioral, developmental, learning and medical health issues as they discern how the school can best serve students with specific learning needs. In general, the school seeks students of average to above-average ability who can contribute to and benefit from St. Therese’s educational and preparatory program. In all cases, the school retains the right to determine, at its sole discretion, whether or not to select a student for admission.
St. Therese Chinese Catholic School is a member of the Chicago Archdiocese, as with all Archdiocese schools, admits students of any sex, race, color or national or ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs and activities generally accorded or made available to students in these schools. St. Therese does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color or national or ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, scholarship programs, or athletic and other school-administered programs.